11.07.2016

~ October Favorites ~

Hello there,

The first week of November has quickly gone by and I'm sure most of us cannot wait for this week to be over with already. To sort of get my mind away from all this election drama (btw, PLEASE vote!) I've decided to make a list of my ultimate favorite items for the month of October. Some of these items have made a huge impact in my life and I know that they also would to my readers so I couldn't help but share them with you. If you happen to be interested in any of these items, I will be including links to purchase these 11 products. I hope you all had a productive and positive Monday and a wonderful rest of the week and once again, PLEASE vote tomorrow.




1.)  Pro-A Serum from Body Merry with Retinol, GreenTea, and Hyaluronic Acid                PRICE: $14.99
This serum is ah-may-zing. I've been suffering from acne since high school, it's a constant battle and it's not as bad anymore compared to when I had cystic acne, but I always strive to achieve that flawless, blemish free skin. A few months ago I realized that the annoying pimples that I was getting around my chin area and cheeks were considered hormonal acne. It is typically recommended to go on birth control but I really didn't like all the side effects that come with those pills so I researched on natural and herbal alternatives to combat hormonal acne and found that vitamin A does the trick. The highest source of vitamin A activity can be found in retinoids and this includes Retinol. This serum has the highest over the counter retinol concentration of 2.5% as well as other ingredients that have greatly improved my skin. I have to say, it does take a while to see the effects of this serum, for me it was around 2-3 weeks when I noticed the acne going down significantly and the over appearance of my face looked brighter. I no longer get any blackheads as well and my skin feels super soft too. I do recommend you to use it a night since the effect of the retinol breaks down when exposed to sunlight. 


2.) Harmon Face Values Intensive Healing Lotion Aloe(14oz.) 
  PRICE: $6.49
      Now that the weather here in NYC has gotten pretty chilly, my combination (mostly oily though) skin starts to lean more towards the dry side so this very nourishing lotion has been my bestie in the fall and winter season. As someone who has oily and acne-prone skin, I really like how it's non-greasy and has vitamins A, C, and E. This is mostly intended as a body lotion which I do use for the body, but I mostly use this for my face. I apply this right after my serum and it gives me the extra moisture that I need in this weather, all day long. 

3.) Dr.Bronner’s All-One Hemp Lavender Pure-Castile Bar Soap
     PRICE: $4.69
   This bar soap is so versatile! I mix it with my shampoo since I personally love the smell of lavender and if paired with a great conditioner, it doesn't dry out your scalp and hair. I also mix it with my face wash and it makes my face feel even more clean when I do this, and once again, this should  be followed with a very moisturizing face lotion. I also use this soap to wash my make-up brushes. It does a great job taking out all the gunk in there very quickly so now I find myself washing my brushes more frequently since it doesn't take too long to clean them anymore. I've read that people even use this soap to brush their teeth, but I don't think I would consider trying that out *squirms*. The packaging is also pretty cool, it has an inspirational saying which I think adds a nice touch. This soap also comes in liquid form which I definitely would rather purchase next time instead of the soap since more product comes in the bottle and it would be easier to use as well. 


4.) In the Country We Love: My Family Divided – by Diane Guerrero with Michelle Burford
           PRICE: $15.47
        Some of you may know now that I'm a first generation Peruvian-American and as a daughter of immigrants who continue to work hard and have sacrificed so much for my sister and I, I really connected with this book. Diane Guerrero, a Colombian-American who is mostly known for her roles in Orange is the New Black and Jane the Virgin is a rock star in the movement for Immigration Reform in the U.S. She experienced the worst nightmare for every child which is to come home to an empty home without knowing where your parents are and instantly becoming an orphan from one day to another. The U.S government never made sure that this U.S citizen, who at the time was 14 years old, had a place to stay or someone to take care of her, and they completely left her on her own to fend for herself. She overcame so many struggles throughout her life and this book will definitely inspire you to pursue your passion, despite your difficult circumstances. This is the type of book that's so good you can't put down and can read in one day
 5.) RadioFM Peru App
      PRICE: Free, download it on Google Play 
      Yep, I just had to include something Peruvian related in this list! This app allows you to listen to a bunch of different radio stations from Peru but there is one that I listen to the most which is Radio La Inolvidable. My dad passed on to me his love for romantic, "corta venas" songs and musica criolla from the 60's, 70's and 80's. Music from Jose Luis Perales, Camilo Sesto, Leonardo Favio, Bobby Richard, Carmencita Lara, and I can go on and on but the music from these decades are an absolute treasure to me. This radio station from Peru plays the best songs from these years all day long, so if your parents, grand-parents, or you love these songs as well, I definitely recommend you to download it. You will for sure get the "feels" from some of these songs. I love to listen to this radio station when I cook, because I legit think my food comes out better when I jam to these songs hahaha. 
  6.) Alarmy(Sleep If U Can) Alarm App
       PRICE: Free, download it on Google Play
      I have a love/hate relationship with this app, and that's because this thing will annoy you like crazy until you wake up. If you're the type of person who has like 5 different alarm clocks that range in 5 minute intervals to wake you up, this app will only take one try to wake you up. Unlike other alarm clocks where you can snooze and go back to sleep, this doesn't do that. There are different alarm method options to choose from, a photo mode, math problem mode, and a shake mode. I currently have the photo mode in which you first take a picture of something in your house, in my case, the toilet, and you need to stand up and take a picture of the exact thing in order to turn off the alarm. This lovely app figured out that I kept restarting my phone whenever I didn't feel like waking up so after trying to do that for the 3rd time, it didn't let me restart and instead made me shake my phone, 98 times. 
  7.) Simple Cleansing Facial Wipes
       PRICE: $4.99
      My all-time favorite mascara is the Super Sizer from Covergirl and if anyone owns that mascara, they know how much of a hassle it can be removing it. It's waterproof and this thing stays on so well, that it even stays on nicely when you go into the pool. I used to buy the facial wipes they sell in Marshalls, but they did a terrible job removing my mascara. In my Influenster VoxBox, I got a sample of these facial wipes and tried to see how it would do in removing my mascara and I was pleasantly surprised. These wipes quickly removed my mascara completely without losing any eyelashes or having to tug on my eyelids. I also love how they don't leave my skin feeling super dry afterwards which is a huge plus. I recently finished the sample so I got the full size one and it comes with 25 wipes so these should last for a while. 

     PRICE: $2.99
    I was fortunate to receive this nail polish in my Influenster VoxBox last month that came with a bunch of other goodies, including a sample size of the facial wipes I mentioned before.This was actually my first time trying out a matte nail polish since I wasn't really a fan of the way they looked but this one changed my mind completely. First of all, I'm an impatient person, the thing I dread THE MOST about painting my nail is having to wait for them to dry. I hate the waiting process and even more hate when my impatient self thinks that 15 mins is an enough drying wait time and messing my nails up right afterwards, This nail polish dries up very quickly. Within 5 minutes your nails already feel dry but just incase, I give it an extra 10 more minutes to dry out more and by then I'm good to go. This particular color is a nice warm red that is suitable for this fall and winter seasons.
      PRICE: $69.95
      These are my go-to booties for the fall that I know for sure will make my outfit look better and my 5'2" self feel much taller which is always awesome. They are super comfy to walk in and I love the way they make my legs look slender and longer. The ones I have are in taupe so they go with a bunch of my outfits and I like the little zipper detail on the side. 
          
     PRICE: $2.19
    I'm a very frugal person, what can I say I love to save my money the best that I can, so I try to find the best drugstore products out there and this lip color is one of my best finds. Spiked with Rum (how can you not love the name?!) is a gorgeous rosy brown lip shade that I believe is suitable for all skin types. It has more of a satin finish so it is not too drying like matte lipsticks tend to be, and I love to wear it both when I have a light make-up look to give my face some life and also when I wear a more heavy eye look because this color is not too dark for it to be too overwhelming. It is also pretty long lasting, not 24 hours long lasting but then again, who's going to have lip stick on for that long? Also, I've even purchased this lip color for less than $2 when they have sales, you just can't beat the price!



 11.) My snapchat inspired Halloween costume
         PRICE: priceless  
    This Halloween, I decided to recreate my favorite filter on Snapchat which was the Gold Butterfly one that made you feel sorta like a Greek goddess. I bought some wire, plastic butterfly, gold glitter, and yellow paint and had fun releasing the creative/artistic side of me. I have to say, my crown came out on point and very closely resembled the filter #success! 

  Hope you enjoyed seeing my favorites!

  With lots of love,
  -Karen
   The Chic Engiruvian




Post a Comment

© The Chic Engiruvian. Design by Fearne.