10.14.2016

Catcalling is NOT A Compliment

Good evening, 

I've been a bit busy with school, work and life in general, but something happened to me on Monday that inspired me to write about something I don't often like to talk about but I feel like sharing this would be important. I live nearby a police precinct so while walking home with my sister after a wonderful day, we were passing by there when suddenly one of the police men that are usually just standing outside (all.the.time) stopped me. I had noticed him staring at me right before walking past the precinct but I never imagined what he was going to do next. When he stopped he told me "Hey, I was just watching you walk and I love your style (signaling up and down), I REALLY like the way you're dressed". This was followed by an awkward "Thank you?" on my behalf and a wtf stare from my sister, the policeman next to him, and I. It is because of situations like these that I always second guess about what I'm going to wear, solely fearing about the remarks and catcalls I will get just because of the way I'm dressed. A compliment is followed by a positive response and a feeling of confidence...but every single time I'm catcalled, I feel belittled, embarrassed and disgusted and I'm sure every woman in NYC has felt this way.

I've lived in NYC my entire life and it's saddening to admit that I can remember being catcalled ever since I was in 6th grade. I still remember those first times of being catcalled being confusing and uncomfortable.Yea,when you're catcalled they don't physically touch you but part of your innocence dies when you realize that men are starting to look at you in a different set of eyes that they shouldn't be...especially towards young girls. It's around this age that one learns that you need to be more careful about the way you're dressed when instead young boys should learn that they should be respectful of women and treat them in the same way they would want their mothers and sisters to be treated.




Catcalling aka street harassment should be an issue that shouldn't be taken lightly like it unfortunately still is...I mean, a police officer thought it was okay to do it right in front of his precinct. It shouldn't be something that men can feel entitled to do in order to make women feel uncomfortable of their bodies. I've sort of learned to mute the catcalls since it happens way too often to me when I'm alone, but it's difficult to do so when it's followed by an insult for not responding back. And sadly, there have been cases where men don't stop at the insult but turn to physical and violent means in order to get the attention they wanted or in revenge which hasn't happened to me but I've read these scenarios many times in the news. It is because of these violent impulses that lead to these horrifying scenarios that one should 1. Once and for all understand why this is NOT a compliment and 2. Do all that you can to help eradicate this harassment that is affecting the lives of your sisters, mothers, girlfriends, aunts, cousins, etc. 

Remember to keep your head up girls, SIEMPRE.

Karen
-The Chic Engiruvian 

Post a Comment

© The Chic Engiruvian. Design by Fearne.