10.18.2016

The Conquest to My Heritage and Manuela Saenz

Good evening or good morning, wherever you are,

First of all I would like to share my quote of the day in my "Daily Gratitude: 365 Days of Reflection" book which I love;


"When one door of happiness closes, another opens;but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us."
- Helen Keller

Just two days ago I finished reading an incredible book that by fate I randomly came across at my local library, Nuestras Vidas Son los Rios  by Jaime Manrique, which in English translates to, Our Lives Are the Rivers which by the way, the book was originally written in English. I've recently become very engrossed on Latin American History, especially on Incan Civilization and the birth of La Ciudad de los Reyes, Lima. Why? Well because I've been tracing back my family tree, in particular my mother's side as of now and I've always been curious on my ancestry and my family's position in the early 1800's when Simon Bolivar was starting to liberate nations from the Spaniards. 

In order to learn more about the history of Peru, I purchased the book History of the Conquest of Peru by William H. Prescott and this book is a treasure to me, especially since I was lucky to purchase a collector's edition for a great price! About 2 weeks after buying this book, after work I felt this desire to visit my library and I had no idea what kind of book to get but when I went to the Spanish section, the first book I saw was this one and after a quick read of the back of the book, I was hooked. 

La Ciudad de los Reyes taken by moi. 
This book is a novela based on real life events that occurred in the life of Manuela Saenz, an Ecuadorian political activist who is most recognized for being known as La Libertadora del Libertador and to Simon Bolivar, Manuelita. She had a difficult childhood as an illegitimate daughter of am Ecuadorian mother who died when Manuelita was very young and a Spanish military officer who already had another family and didn't come into her life until many years later. She played a pivotal role in the liberation of Peru from Spain with the help of her beloved friend, Rosita Campuzano and because of her contributions she was awarded with the highest award that is bestowed in Peru, the Order of the Sun aka La Orden el Sol del Peru (#goals). 

Not only that, but this brave woman actively participated and combated in battles alongside Simon Bolivar and the rebels like in the Battle of Junin and the Battle of Ayacucho (where my father's side is from, Larcay, Ayacucho) where her cleverness in the battles led her to being promoted to Colonel. This was in the 1820's, a time where women had very limited liberties, were not even entitled to an opinion, had to spend all day being modest and praying and here was Manuela Saenz, fighting and killing off Spaniards dressed in her soldier attire of red and blue!

Her very liberal views and her romantic love affair with Simon Bolivar who in the end was the love of her life and the force that pushed Bolivar to continue his fight against the Spaniards led to her heart breaking ending. She was forced out of Colombia, Ecuador, and most of Peru except Paita where she lived her last days reminiscing on her golden days with Bolivar. 
Manuelita, la Libertadora del Libertador with the Order of the Sun #goalz
I can see so much of my great-grandmother in this remarkable woman, two women who were way beyond their time. Manuelita is definitely a Latina to look up to, she was ridiculed for doing the right thing during her time and paid a harsh price for it, but I'm sure she's now proud to see that her sacrifices didn't go in vain and is admired by many women like me. I will definitely go to the museum that was made in honor of her in Quito, Ecuador.  

Wuynas nuchis and I hope you make the best out of this new day.

-Karen
The Chic Engiruvian

Post a Comment

© The Chic Engiruvian. Design by Fearne.